Every year, the Morrison United Methodist Church family joins with other areas United Methodist Churches in raising money during the season of Lent and packaging thousands of meals one Sunday afternoon during the Easter season. These meals are sent throughout the United States and around the world to places of extreme poverty and hunger or to areas that have recently experienced natural disasters. Stop Hunger Now, recently renamed Rise Against Hunger. Won't you join us. 40 Days $1.00 per day
The issue of human sexuality in ministry and in the Christian church has been a major concern for every denomination and our Catholic brothers and sisters as well. What do we do about same-sex marriages, all forms of homosexuality, ordination and church governance?
The special-called session of the General Conference with delegate from all over the world met in St. Louis last week and considered several options from the Progressive One-Church plan to the Traditional Plan to the Simple Plan. After several days of discussion, dozens of amendments, and hours of prayer the vote was taken. The Traditional Plan received the most votes, by a 53%-47% margin.
Here are the main components of the Traditional Plan.
The Traditional Plan as passed by the 2109
Special Call General Conference in St. Louis
1.Maintains prohibitions against self-avowed practicing gay clergy and same-gender weddings
2. Broadens the definition of “self-avowed practicing homosexual” to include persons living in a same-sex marriage or civil union or persons who publicly state that they are practicing homosexuals.
3. Mandates penalties for disobedience to the Discipline
4. Requires bishops, pastors and annual conferences to certify adherence to the Discipline standards on LGBTQ marriage and ordination
5. Effective upon adjournment of the Conference.
6. Can vote to stay or leave the UMC if disagrees with annual conference’s decision
7. Churches can leave with their property
8. Must uphold the Discipline’s standards on LGBTQ marriage and ordination or join “autonomous, affiliated, or concordat" church
9. Just resolutions from complaints must include commitment not to repeat offense
10. First offense results in one-year unpaid suspension
11. Second offense requires surrender of credentials
Susan Taylor Celebration Service at Morrison Events Center on Casey Trail,
Saturday, August 27th
At 10:00 am
Poteet Funeral Home, Pawnee, OK will be handling the family's service arrangements.
Lunch for the family will be at the Morrison United Methodist Church
If you were near Grand and Palm streets in Ponca City, OK, you would hear voices raised in praise for the Lord. Four members of the Morrison United Methodist Church are attending the Northern Prairie District Lay Servant Training to learn how to enlarge their own ministry and the ministry of the church. Paula King, Debbie Long, Shalon Reynolds, and Cathryn Christensen were encouraged by Reverend Richard Ayers to attend and little did they know how much of a blessing it would be to spend time with other Methodists from around the area in addition to learning how to be lay servants.
if you see one of them, stop and take a moment to hear more about theitheir time at this training.
This blog connects the members of the Morrison UMC by posting the news, events, happenings, stories, joys and concerns of the church, its members, their families, and the local community.